At the end of the day I thought, I can't
I can't be in the building all by myself
I need air, I need to clear my mind
So I went out, sat by the river
I fiddled with my phone
I remembered my sister asking me to call one of my aunt last year when we had that false alarm
Now that the alarm was for real
I don't know how I'd handle it
But I don't feel like it'll be just if I don't do it, considering I was never there at the end of it...
So I rang her
I tried to hold myself but I broke down eventually
I hung up
I tried holding it in
But I couldn't
So I sat by the river and cried
I saw it coming
No, I was rather hoping for it to come
For it to end
And ease her pain
I thought probably it'll be good for the end to come without me there
The moment I heard she was bedridden, my head hung low
She had always been a strong woman, even in her frail form
The image was too much for me
So I prayed for God to ease her pain
Now it passed
I thought of the thought
And thought how weak, how selfish I was
And I cried
I cried thinking of her
And of everyone else, our family
I heard a lady asked me if I was alright
I felt her hand stroking my back, trying to calm me down
I told her what happened
And she listened, empathising, relating to how too had lost her grandmother once
She stayed for a bit until I calmed down
I thanked her and stayed a bit before making my way back
Here's to my grandma
That little iron lady who doesn't take shit from no one
But so many revered her
Down to the 5th generation
And across to the others
No comments:
Post a Comment