Monday, 6 August 2012

O-ho! You're pointing at me?! try counting those fingers pointing back at you

I guess everyone is well aware of the hype of “Save Maryam”. I, someone who couldn’t be bothered with hypes, of course didn’t watch it. I forgot what lead to it but my housemate, who’s an Indonesian, told me to watch it because to her, there was a part in the video that doesn’t seemed right and wanted to know my opinion of it.


So I watched it.



First impression,


"ASDFGHJKL!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLL!!!!!
THEY INCLUDE SEMENANJUNG SIOT~!
WHY NO MALAYSIAN MARAH THIS VIDEO CLAIM SEMENANJUNG IS IN INDONESIA?!"
 
That caused me to giggle and laugh for sometime before I can continue watching the whole thing again. 



 The video, to me, was another Kony video. Scary bit at front and ends with "give us your money we’ll put an end to it". Scam-ish since, how do we know where the money would actually go to in reality.

 
The thing my housemate pointed out was Maryam’s friend who took her to that “LOVE JESUS” concert pakai kerudung. I say, well, maybe she’s used to the whole pakai kerudung thing and decides to stick with it.

Clothes don’t determine one’s faith.

We both agreed on that and moved on with our lives like always.



Until I saw this tweet which made me took a very deep breath as my eyes rolled back.



We seem to be really quick at pointing others as the reason for all the bad things to happen to us but we never bothered to think through what did we Muslims do wrong.

If you actually pay attention to the video you'd know that Maryam was in a less than harmonious family and it saddens her and made her feel lonely. So happens that the church had set up helplines for people with problems to talk it out with someone and she went for it. Ask any gaggling girls why they got so many friends they'll tell you it's so they can bitch about what's bugging them in life which in turns make them feel better. A lot, a little, depends on the issue at hand but you'd still feel better than before. As for why some ladies just can't seem to live without a man, they love that shoulder to cry on (I'm guilty of wanting that from time to time but I've learnt to soldier on after a huge private BAW session). Ask ourselves, do we have those sort of support that can be reached at ease, with people willing to listen to your sorrows and troubles without judging you and with compassion and empathy? (not sympathy. This thing can be annoying sometimes)

I don't know if anybody had read this article by Dr. MAZA. If THAT is how hard for needy Muslims to get help from the very body that is suppose to provide them help, I am not surprised that they'd embraced those that are willing to help them, which in this case is the Christians. I don't know how credible whatever it is I've heard about how our pusat zakat manage the zakat that they've collected from those who payed but if it's true, it's pretty scary. If you ask me, at the end of their book, credit should balance off debit with the most credited to those who are in need. A bit to cover up the operation cost is understandable tapi buat umrah pakai "untung" pusat zakat is a no-no (I'm putting this out as a no-no example not sure it the story legit).

To be honest this whole issue had been eating at me inside out for sometime now thanks to the story of this girl. She was born in Egypt and later her family moved to Saudi. Then, she came here to further her studies. Now, she doesn't even believe in God. I don't know much about her because we never sat and talk about it but someone told me something that she said,

"In Saudi I cover all, wear all black but then a man grabbed my butt.
Here, I wear short shorts and no man had ever touched me."

(not exact quote but this is the essence of her words)


It is really easy to put the blame on others but the real essential fault actually lays within us. Oh, I know, you all wanna blame them Saudis for being all restrictive now their people go out into the world, terkejut beruk with everything but guess what, Malaysian Muslims are no different. I don't know how many times I feel like whacking my handphone to the wall after reading stuff said and done in the name of our religion. The latest one was the whole trying to bring the door down at 2am then don't even bother apologising for their mistakes. Then again, when was the last time our Muslim public figure or bodies apologise for anything? (that's a question, not a statement ok. SOALAN bukan KENYATAAN) Then you have the normal everyday Muslims. How many time have you heard, "eleh, name je Islam tapi, (insert whatever retort here)"? Too often I guess. I remember once, on a whole family outing to Putrajaya, Abah tried to find a spot to park in front of the PM's office. The roundabout area was packed, we thought we'll never get a space until we saw a car getting ready to get out. After a while waiting, the car speed away but before Abah could put his feet down on the acceleration pedal, a bloody car zoom in and parked at the spot and a lebai popped out of the car and walk away as if we were not there. So really, are we any better?


Lets face it, not everyone has all the time in the world to look at scriptures to figure out all these religions of the world. They turn to the people of the religion and observe how they carry themselves in society and their way of thinking. With that said, It is pointless to convince people how perfect our beloved religion is when we fail to reflect it on ourselves. I just wish people of power especially would realise this and act accordingly to be a better leader and a fine example to us normal people. But there's also that question if the people become better, would the leaders follow suit? They should or we could replace them but then there's the question if they were doing it just for the sake of power or if they would abuse the powers already bestowed upon them to wreck havoc unto us people. We've seen the latter happened and the former to some extend. Last semester two of my classmates did this presentation on the origin of evil and the whole idea that situations give rise to evil. It is very intriguing as it can be applied here somewhere but I'm not going to dwell into that right now.



Puase telah terbuke makanya perlu bersiap nak terawih lame gile kot aku tak join jemaah.

1 comment:

ShawnSharif said...

Kikanchu jadi bustazah mawah om nom nom!